Wednesday, March 16, 2011

REST

A few months ago my little girl involuntarily awakened from her nap. I could tell she wasn’t quite ready to get up yet by the frustration in her sobbing. I went into her bedroom and laid her back down, then patted her back until she fell back asleep. A half hour or so later she woke up again only this time she had awakened fully rested and even though she had woken in the same place she was not bothered by the confinement of her crib, she even found enjoyment in bouncing around on the mattress and singing to herself loudly as if knowing I was listening. She was completely content to be in her predicament, she had come to terms with the fact that I had put her in that place and when she was ready I would take her out.
That soft voice inside said, “Does that seem familiar?”
Christ allows us to be in difficult situations for our own benefit. We may fight and cry about it, but it is in those times that He is laying us down to rest fully in Him. And if we are able to simply rest on His greatness we can be in complete contentment with any situation. There are no surprises to God… nothing happens without His allowing… focus on Him and rest. 

The Lord is my shepherd,
I shall not want;
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters;
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for His name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley
of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil;
for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life;
and I shall dwell in the house of the
Lord forever.

Psalm 23

No comments:

Post a Comment